Before reading this post:
Review Best 10 Identity Theft Protection Companies 2020
For those of you shopping for identity theft protection, you might look at the different offerings and determine that the costs are not really worth it.
Here comes AllClearID with FREE identity theft protection for you or your family.
What Is AllClearId, are They Legit or Scam?
All Clear ID is an identity theft protection suite that offers both consumer and business protection. Formerly known as Debix, All Clear ID is located in Austin, TX.
They currently have a BBB rating of A. They tout company values, such as integrity, customer service, pride and ownership.
They believe that basic identity theft protection should be free to all people who need it. Identity theft is a huge problem for people and families, and there’s no reason why they should have to pay to be alerted if someone tries to steal their identity.
But, are they really practicing what they preach?
AllClearID Reviews: What Are People Saying?
On their website, they list a variety of testimonials. They rave about their service, claiming that they are all very pleased. They say that the operation is well-run.
They also express satisfaction in the voice-detection service used for contacting support.
However, we must look at the critical reviews to determine whether or not the service is truly worth it.
One of the biggest concerns is about how, compared to other services, AllClearId is not as comprehensive in its monitoring. It only monitors basic credit information and does not look at public records, medical insurance information, criminal records, or sex offender registries. Therefore, it does not protect against all types of identity theft, nor will it be helpful in all circumstances.
Since $15/month is standard for many types of protection offered by many of the top companies, one would generally expect a little more than what they offer.
However, you should not read these reviews and form your opinion entirely on them. Fortunately, here at Elite Personal Finance, we have compiled the complete list of features that this company offers for their different packages.
AllClear Basic: FREE Identity Theft Protection
AllClear’s Basic package is not advertised on their website. However, you can sign up for it through the website, and it is very easy.
Simply go to the AllClearId website, click “Sign Up”, and switch the “Pro” package to “Basic”. There, you will see that it costs $0.00 per month.
However, the free package only includes identity theft repair and restoration: it does not include fraud detection, credit monitoring, alerts, or immediate support. It also does not include any insurance: any out-of-pocket costs with repair will have to be paid.
You should get this package if you want protection from identity theft and an option to restore it if you end up getting it stolen.
Otherwise, it is recommended to get more comprehensive paid packages, especially if you feel like you have something to lose.
AllClear Plus: The Essential Package
AllClear Plus is not available to order on their website. It is only available from affiliates and businesses that offer it to their employees.
However, this package is reasonably comprehensive and offers a few different protection options, such as:
- Fraud Detection: If someone tries to take out a loan in your name, you will be alerted to the suspicious activity.
- Phone Alerts: You can get these alerts even on the go. They’re promised to be safe and secure, as well.
- Immediate Support: You will be able to get support right away simply by picking up the phone.
- $1 Million Identity Theft Insurance: You will be allowed $1 million in coverage for out-of-pocket costs associated with identity theft restoration.
As stated before, this package is only offered by businesses, and not by All Clear ID directly. You might get this type of protection if you bought a larger package from a different company, or you might get it from your employer. Typically you will not be paying up front for this.
However, there is a better package, at a reasonable cost, that can be purchased directly.
AllClear Pro: $14.95/month Comprehensive Package
Unlike AllClear Plus, you can get this package directly from the AllClearID website.
This package offers a bit extra that the AllClear Plus package, but the extra offerings make all the difference.
These offerings, in addition to everything the Plus package has, are:
- Credit Monitoring: If there’s a suspicious activity on your credit report, they will notify you of the activity.
- Lost Wallet Protection: if you lose your wallet, AllClear can help speed up the process of protecting your credit cards and health cards from being used.
AllClearID vs. Lifelock
Lifelock is one of the top recommended identity theft protection companies, rated typically either #1. They specialize in offering very comprehensive services for a cost that anyone can afford.
They have three packages: a $10/month, $20/month, and $30/month package.
So, what’s the same between the $10/month Life lock package and the $15/mo AllClear package?
- $1 Million ID Theft Insurance: Both companies offer to pay out-of-pocket expenses totaling up to $1 million.
- Identity Restoration Support: Both companies promise to help restore a stolen identity.
- Lost Wallet Protection: Both companies will help you cancel your credit cards and prevent harmful info from being stolen.
- Alerts: Both companies will alert you in case of potential problems.
- Immediate Support
What does AllClear offer in addition?
- Credit Monitoring: AllClear will monitor credit score activity at all 3 bureaus. Lifelock offers this, but only in their $20/month and up package.
What does Lifelock offer in addition?
- Reduced Pre-Approved Credit Cards: Lifelock will help you stop those annoying pre-approved card offers and prevent mail thieves from getting access to sensitive information. AllClear does not do this, either.
It is easily shown that the $10 package alone is far more comprehensive than AllClear’s $15 package.
AllClearID vs. Identity Guard
Identity Guard is another top identity theft protection service provider. Their recommended suite is $20/month, which is $5/month over All Clear. However, they have a $10/month service, called Identity Guard Essentials.
So, what do both companies offer? Let’s compare AllClear Pro to Identity Guard Essentials.
- $1 Million ID Theft Insurance
- Identity Restoration Support
- Lost Wallet Protection
- Immediate Support
Identity Guard’s basic packages offers almost the same things as AllClear’s best package! Similarly, All Clear ID offers credit monitoring, which IG does not.
However, IG offers the following in addition (and for only $10/month):
- Victim Assistance: They will do their best to lower the stress of a stolen identity and will help you through a troubling time.
- Account Takeover Alerts: They will notify you in case someone tries to pose as you at a bank to get access to your bank and change your information.
- Black Market Monitoring
- SSN Monitoring: They will monitor activity on your SSN, which All Clear will not do. This is quite important!
As you can see, IG remains a better bet than All Clear, and it is $5 per month cheaper!
Should I Get Free Identity Theft Protection?
Free identity theft protection is right for you if:
- You are a student and do not have an extensive credit history or a large budget
- You do not want to pay for the added services of protection, and prefer to resolve the issues yourself
It is very hard to beat ‘free’. However, for just $10/month extra, you could have more peace of mind and be reassured that your identity, in case of being stolen, is safe, along with your assets and your credit reputation.